Sailors accidentally discovered in the 18th century that by sucking on lemons they could prevent scurvy. During long voyages, this disease often develops when supplies of fresh fruits and vegetable not available. The key nutrient in 1928 of lemon was discovered and named ascorbic acid because to fight scurvy capacity or anti-scorbutic action which is the second name of vitamin C.
Benefits of Vitamin C
The most widely known vitamin these days is vitamin C. This is not surprising because for over 300 functions the body needs vitamin C. On the other hand, against health disease, this vitamin C has been proved to help and protect. Also against cancer and other serious illness. Without vitamin C the body will not be able to heal up. This is basically because vitamin C is vital for collagen formation. A cut or an injury whenever caused to someone it is the collagen that helps repair the damage and without sufficient vitamin C, this would be almost impossible. Multiple functions in the body are being performed by collagen which includes keeping the organs in place, and it would not be able to do without vitamin C is sufficient.
Vitamin C offers a number of health benefits to the body. Among them are:
- Length and severity of colds and flu are reduced. At the start of cold and flu, it is good to take vitamin C to keep the illness from developing fully and in that way it results in recovery which is fast.
- Certain cancers are also prevented. Its antioxidant properties are luxurious in fighting cancer by defensive healthy cells from free-radical harm and impeding the spread of cancer cells.
- Against cataracts, it is protected. Prevention from vitamin C to the damage of the eye due to ultraviolet (UV) light and smoke of the cigarette
- Allergies, eczema, sinusitis, and asthma are relieved by vitamin C. this vitamin also contains natural antihistamine which blocks the inflammatory substance effect which is produced to counter allergens.
- Memory is improved. It is fundamental in maintaining healthy nerve cells and is combined with vitamin E, mixed carotenoids, ginkgo biloba and co-enzyme Q10 to treat memory beating.
- At a faster rate, wounds are healing up and minimize bruising. Vitamin C helps out in the repair and preservation of the body by reinforcing cell walls and increasing blood vessels called capillaries. It also stops inflammation.
- Vitamin C makes the gums healthy. Daily intake of vitamin C protects the tissue of the gums beside cell damage and makes remedial faster. It is best in use with flavonoids. With vitamin C powder, brushing gums can minimize inflammation and bleeding.
- By improving cholesterol levels, it enhances resistance to heart disease. Greater risk of angina and heart attacks are caused by the low level of vitamin C. If in use with vitamin E, it protects LDL cholesterol from oxidation preventing plaque swelling in coronary arteries.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome is combat. With carotenoids if it is mixed then it strengthens the immune system.
- By lowering bile cholesterol levels it controls gallstone formation.
- The effect of ageing is being fought by it. If it is combined with other antioxidants such as vitamin E and flavonoids, vitamin C may counter the ageing procedure.
How to Take Vitamin C?
In tablet, liquid and capsule form these vitamin C are available. For vitamin C the recommended intake who does not smoke both male and female Is 60mg a day. For smokers, 100 mg per day. To prevent scurvy, just 10mg of vitamin C is enough. To an increased risk of heart attack and cataracts, less than 50 mg is required.
It is not always possible to intake the excessive C vitamin because this vitamin is water-soluble and is in urine eliminated in 12 hours and from faeces as well. Mouth ulcers, diarrhea, gas and boating are few diseases that people may suffer at about 2,000 mg doses.
From vitamin C, to gain more benefits it takes up with antioxidant. The benefits of vitamin C are also increased by Flavonoids. Take 500 mg per day for general health. For the treatment, you should take 1,000 to 6,000 mg per day. Break the dose beyond 1,000 mg into three or more doses per day. Large doses of vitamin c may impede the absorption of copper and selenium. If you have hemochromatosis, don’t take more than 500 mg a day of vitamin C. There is the inaccuracy of medical tests for colon cancer and levels of hemoglobin.