Laryngitis is related to the larynx or vocal cords that produce your voice. If there is any inflammation caused due to some reasons such as excessive strain on the vocal cords or a viral or bacterial infection so in this condition you can say that you are suffering from laryngitis.
Most commonly the symptoms include a hoarse or weak voice and sometimes the condition becomes worse that you cannot even talk at all. Often go with by sore throat and dry cough. Fortunately, most of the time the laryngitis is in the acute part so it heals with the time and has no serious issue but you will feel minor pain.
Laryngitis lasts for a few days or up to 2 weeks but if it remains for a longer time so it can be said that the disease has become chronic and you should now consult a doctor. To reduce the symptoms and inflammation to restore your voice more efficiently so you would have to take a note of the best home remedies described below. You would get your voice back.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It has antimicrobial properties so it is capable of reducing the bacterial infection from your larynx to treat laryngitis.
- Take raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and put its two tbsp. to one tbsp. of honey with half a cup of water. To increase the effectiveness of the remedy, you can add cayenne pepper as well. Drink this solution two times a day.
- Another method you can do is in a glass of warm water; add one tbsp. of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Gargle with this solution several times a day until you feel better.
Onion is recognized as a natural drug which proves to be best for curing larynx inflammation.
- Take four medium-sized onions and cut them. Now simmer the pieces in four cups of warm water until the solution thickens into a syrup-like consistency.
- Now mix five tbsp. of the onion syrup in a glass of warm water. Add one tbsp. of honey and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Little by little, sip the mixture. Do this remedy once a day for 2 weeks.
Ginger is a great ingredient for your throat as it soothes the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the larynx.
- Take fresh ginger and thinly sliced them. Put the slices in a pan of water and cover for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, strain the solution and allow cooling at room temperature. You can add lemon juice to taste and then drink it several times a day.
- There are kinds of candied gingers available at the super stores so you can also try sucking them throughout the day. Or simply eat a few thin slices of fresh ginger root.
Warm Salt Water
Warm salt water prevents your vocal cords from any inflammation and sore throat.
- What you have to do is just add one-half tsp of salt to a cup of warm water and gargle it. Do this several times a day.
Due to its natural acidic properties, it helps in killing bacteria and viruses. It gradually relieves the symptoms of laryngitis and helps loosen mucus easily.
- In a glass of warm water, squeeze the lemon juice.
- Now add one-half tsp of sea salt to it (you can use table salt too).
- Gargle with this solution several times a day.
Garlic also contains antimicrobial properties due to which it helps in killing bacteria and viruses. It also works as a natural expectorant.
- Chew a raw garlic clove slowly and then at last swallow it.
- Another way is to chop the several cloves of garlic then put them in a jar and cover it with equal parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and distilled water. Shake the jar to mix the contents then let it sit for 4 hours. Finally, add some raw honey before storing it in the refrigerator. Take 3 tsp of the garlic syrup every 8 hours.
Slippery elm is a bark of the tree that has been used medicinally. Slippery elm contains a mucilage form of gel when mixed with pure water. It is very much effective to get relief from the sore throat and irritation.
- Put some fresh slippery elm in water so it becomes a form of a gel. Swallow this gel directly several times a day to relieve the sore throat.
- You can also try slippery elm tablets.
Note: Slippery elm is highly restricted for those women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Honey would be beneficial for soothing the irritated throat by reducing inflammation.
- The easiest way to use honey is to swallow some raw honey several times a day.
- You can try making herbal tea with honey and lemon. To do this, you would have to add the juice of a one-half lemon and two tbsp. of raw honey in a cup of hot water. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to it for taste. Drink this solution two times a day.
Eucalyptus contains natural antiviral and antimicrobial properties and it is one of the best ingredients to soothe the inflammation of the throat.
- The best way to use eucalyptus oil is to inhale its steam. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil into a large pan of boiling water then cover your head with a large towel and inhale the steam for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Follow the remedy two times daily.
Licorice is another ingredient that is useful to reduce irritation, inflammation and pain because it contains antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It also acts as a natural expectorant to get rid of mucus.
- Take one tsp of dried licorice root and boil in a cup of water for five minutes. Strain the solution and drink this tea up to three times a day.
- You can try licorice pills as well.
Note: There is a chance that licorice may interact with other medicines that are sometimes not suitable for people suffering from high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease or heart disease. Also, it is not recommendable for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Additional Tips To Get Rid Laryngitis
- It is suggested to speak softly while treating laryngitis yourself.
- Give rest to your vocal cords and try to talk less.
- Avoid clearing your throat.
- Do not try to smoke and avoid upper respiratory infections.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Get vocal therapy to analyze your voice in order to correct the abnormal speech patterns.